Sunday, August 24, 2008

End of Summer

Shalom all!

It is not the end of the summer yet but as visitors start leaving
Israel to go back to the States I am aware of how much time I've
enjoyed "being on vacation" with my friends in Israel. From going to
Eilat/Petra, beaches in Tel Aviv, pools at hotels, great restaurants,
wineries, Haifa, Golan and the Kinneret I've taken every opportunity
to spend quality time with friends in Israel.

However the homework is piling on and I can no longer miss Ulpan
(Hebrew lessons) because a friend is in town or I want to go on a
hike. I feel more confident everyday speaking Hebrew with Israelis
and doing daily errands but I have a long way to go before I am a
fluent in Hebrew. I found "my place" to hang out where the waiters
and waitresses know me and seat me right away and I have a great group
of friends in class and in the Merkaz (place I live).

This past Shabbat my friend Shoshana celebrated her one year
anniversary of making Aliyah. We were discussing how much she
accomplished in one year and what goals she will set for the next
year. We determined she was successful because she accomplished 3
goals - 1. speaking Hebrew fluently 2. working at a great job which
makes her happy and is on her way to her career 3. having a wonderful
Israeli boyfriend. I am on my way...I'm studying Hebrew, have a couple
of work opportunities but am waiting until I complete Ulpan, and am
going on dates but there is no one of substance yet.

Enjoy the end of your summer!
lots of love
Esther
Bethany and me when Bethany flew in on the NBN August 19th flight
My Ulpan class with Mora Linda

No comments: