Wednesday, August 6, 2008

First Update July 5th

Shalom all,

Finally I get to sit down and right some of my thoughts of these past 10 days. This past week I walked/ran around Jerusalem getting a bank account, cell phone plan, health insurance, absorption center and settling into my room/apt. I now understand when people said it was not going to be easy maneuvering the Israeli beurocratic system! I considered a successful day one that I got one task completed. I forwent my go-getting mentality and "to do" lists because then I would just get disappointed that nothing got accomplished on the time table that I expect. Banks close in the middle of the day and some tellers would not assist me because they do not feel like at that moment, and in the health insurance place about 15 people overheard my conversation with the receptionist about any medical problems I have because there is no thing such as personal space. I am laughing off these situations and remaining positive.

I moved into my room which is in an absorption center with other recent English speaking immigrants that are going through similar experiences as mine. My room has a full bed, desk, dresser/closet, kitchenette and an outside porch. I share a bathroom and common space with 6 other people which is cool with me. I live off of Emek Refaim in the German Colony and LOVE the area!!! It is like the Beacon Hill of Jerusalem.

So a couple of observations since living here...when I say I made Aliyah to Israeli's in Jerusalem I get the response- "Mazol Tov! B'hazlacha" (congrats, good luck!) which feels pretty amazing to have the support and pride. However, when I say to Israelis in or near Tel Aviv I get the response, "why are you crazy?" which feels disheartening. I try to explain to them that it is a feeling of belonging in Israel rather than in the states. At this point they look at me like I have ten heads with one eye and a big green nose and they say "but it is so easy in the states and you get everything you want." To them I explain, "The materialistic part of life is not worth living in America when I can live in the Jewish state where even the bus driver says Shabbat Shalom." This usually shuts them up but I've had some great conversations from this response.
Another observation which is common to a Conservative Jew is the feeling of not belonging to a certain Jewish community especially living in Jerusalem. Many young people are Haradi, Modern Orthodox or secular but there is no middle ground. The modern orthodox speak to me and look at me like I do not know anything about Judaism because I am wearing a tank-top and skirt above my knees and the secular people do not understand why I keep kosher and observe at least some of Shabbat.

These observations are common and not a novelty but it is very different living here than visiting although I am loving every minute. I get lost walking around Jerusalem, party in Tel Aviv with thousands of Jewish people till 5am, go to the beach with my cousins, and meet new people everyday that are so interesting and welcoming.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend and Happy 4th of July!
Esther

No comments: