Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Shabbat in the Old City - July 12

Shabbat Shalom!

Tonight I went to the Kotel for the first time as an Israeli citizen and it was amazing. The area was flowing with thousands of Jews from all over the world and the Shabbat energy was fantastic. For those of you who knows some of these people, I bumped into Rachel Jacobson, Sari Fallas and Debbie Coltin.

Some of you do not know how close I was to the Chabad in Brookline (Mayshe and Shifra) but their sister and brother-in-law live in Jerusalem and do a monthly Shabbat dinner in the Old City that is catered. Mayshe and Shifra gave me their contact information before I left so I called Hinda and Yossi a couple of days ago and they said it would be their pleasure for me and my friends to join them for Shabbat dinner in the Old City. We met 40 others from all over the United States and enjoyed a delicious shabbas meal together. I met some very cute boys, sang songs that reminded me of camp, and listened to the parsha of the week.

Mayshe and Shifra- thank you for connecting me to Hinda and Yossi and I met your parents! Your dad is quite a character and I now know where you get your personality.

As we were walking out of the Old City all the gates were closed because there was a shooting near the Lion Gate which is near the Muslim Quarter. Two policeman were injured. We stayed in a hostel for an hour until they opened up one of the gates to let everyone that needed to leave the Old City out and everyone that needed to come back in. I wanted to let everyone know that I am safe, had a great kabbalat shabbat dinner and tomorrow am relaxing since there is nothing open in Jerusalem anyways.

Shabbat Shalom and all my love
Esther

No comments: