Thursday, September 4, 2008

Work in Israel?!?!?!

Shalom Chavarim (friends),

I hope all is well in the states with everyone. I heard the North East
is getting a storm this weekend and the South got hit pretty badly
with a couple of Hurricanes - I hope you are all surviving. Here in
Jerusalem it is hot and sunny everyday...which I love and I have no
complaints about. In the mornings there is a cool fresh breeze and in
the evenings the weather is a perfect 65 and breezy. I officially have
a Sabra (Israeli) tan and Israelis come up to me speaking Hebrew which
helps me practice my "English accent" Hebrew.

So the title of this email is Work in Israel? As of right now I am not
working but I have a few plans in action so when I need to find a job
after Ulpan is complete in December I already have contacts lined up.
I am also getting involved with volunteer work in specific fields that
I care about in Jerusalem such as being on the Steering Committee for
Presentense (http://www.presentense.org/) and getting involved with
Nir Barkat's Campaign for Mayor
(http://www.barkat.org.il/English.aspx) . Also, if any of you are
going in November to the GA 2008 (General Assembly) in Jerusalem I
will be volunteering and will see you there.

As for work, I want to get involved in Israeli Corporate
Philanthropy/Responsibility. Israeli non-profits are cutting staff
and programing because they do not receive as much funding from the
American Jewish donation anymore and they can not depend on the
Israeli government because the government is spending most of their
tax dollars on security. It is up to the private sector to sustain
Israeli NGO which contribute to Israeli society through social
welfare. I am researching the tax exemption laws, meeting with
organizations and corporations to understand the culture of Israeli
Corporate Philanthropy which is keeping me very busy and I am learning
a lot about the system.

Jerusalem is an amazing and intense place to live and through my
volunteer work I hope to make Jerusalem a more affordable and
welcoming place for young adults to consider their home.

Here is a picture of my favorite Israeli cold snack food..they are Parve ice-cream bon bons


Lots of love and enjoy your weekend

Esther

No comments: