Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Life Up in Zichron

Hey all my friends and family,


So life here in Zichron Yakov is pretty much perfect for me. I am very happy living here and working at the Tishbi Winery. My Hebrew is improving everyday and my confidence to use Hebrew is growing, which was one of my goals of moving up to Zichron Yakov. The other goal of working at a winery was to learn the process of making wine, which yesterday I demonstrated by giving my first tour in English to two American guys. Valerie, a Scottish woman that made Aliyah 25 years ago, has taken me under her wing and taught me almost everything she knows about wine, so with her guidance I am learning a lot about wine making and the industry. Today, I also received my first Israeli paycheck which is a milestone in my Aliyah process.

Now that I've started to give tours I expect all my friends in Israel and who visit from America to book a tour with me at the Tishbi winery in Binyamina - we finish with a great wine tasting :) It is only 15 NIS per a person so get a car load of people together to come and visit me! We are open Sunday-Thursday 8:30am-3:30pm, no tours on Friday but the restaurant is open. It is kosher chalavi and serves breakfast all day.

On a serious note, I experienced my first Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day), Yom HaZicharon (Remembrance Day for the fallen soldiers) and Yom Haazmaut (Independence Day for Israel) in Israel. For Yom Ha Shoah and HaZicharon there are sirens that blast all around Israel for exactly one minute and at this time everyone has to stand still in their place, no matter what they are doing.

For Yom HaShoah I was at the grocery store at the check out line, and for Yom HaZicharon I was walking through the Tishbi restaurant. It is a strange feeling to suddenly stop, look down, and automatically think about all those Jews that have died throughout time because of all the external forces that have wanted us exterminated on so many occasions.

After Yom HaZicharon, within minutes, the country goes from one extreme of sadness to another extreme of happiness because of our Independence as a Jewish state. I celebrated my first Yom Haazmaut with my friends dancing in the streets of Jerusalem and eating all those yummy Israeli treats.

I am immensely enjoying life in Israel and during the patriotic holidays I felt proud and overjoyed to be a citizen of Israel and contribute to the Jewish State. After 10 months of living in Israel I wake up everyday, walk along historical parts of Zichron Yakov, take a bus to work overlooking the scenery of the Carmel region and go for a run in the afternoon where my view is the Mediterranean Sea on my left and the beginning of the Carmel mountains on my right.

I hope all is well with everyone and see you soon at the Tishbi winery :)

All my love,

Esther

Mindy, Michal, Debbie and me in Jerusalem on Yom Haazmaut

No comments: