Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sukkot in Jerusalem

Shalom,

Sukkot in Israel and specifically in Jerusalem is an amazing experience. For 7 days there are festivals, parties and ceremonies going on in the city which gives it a spirit like no other city in the world. Before Sukkot came in I went with my friends to the shuk which was unbelievably packed with people buying lulavs, etrogs, and decorating stuff for their sukkah. Most restaurants have a sukkah attached to their outdoor section and even the falafal stands have a sukkah.

Yesterday there was the Feast of the Tabernacles which is a parade of 8000 people from all different countries showing their support for Israel. This morning I went to the Berkat Ha Kohanim at the Kotel. Thousands of people packed the foyer and praying section of the Kotel to hear hundreds Kohamin bless the people of Israel. It brought back childhood memories of my father, uncles and Zayde doing the Kohamin prayer infront of the congregation but it also felt as if I was at the Temple 2000 years ago for the journey of Sukkot.

I can not attach the video clip becasue it is too big but look at it on my blog.

Chag Samach
Esther

PS...pass this onto whomever and I will post it on my blog at www.esthersaliyah.blogspot.com


see more at http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1222017555159&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull


No comments: